Tuesday, November 4, 2008

I'm a Bad Person

I think I might be a very bad person. This August I closed my home daycare, I had been operating for 3 years. There were a lot of reasons to quit. I hit a good point where many of my kids were moving or starting school, it made it easy to shut down. I had spent three years of people not paying me when they were suppose to, showing up to drop off kids or pick them up when ever they felt like it. I can remember one mom showing up at 5:30 in the morning to drop off her daughter and actually being mad at me for sleeping, by the way, she forgot to tell me she needed me that early, apparently I should have known! Another parent didn't come to get their child until after 8PM. I tried calling mom and dad with no answer and had to make cancellation for another group that I was volunteering for, made me look really good. I couldn't do things with my kids, not even give them a hug or kiss without a whole herd wanting the same. It became a problem.

One parent ranked far above the rest in inconsiderate. She would pay me late and her checks would bounce. She would drop off and pick up when ever it suited her. Complained constantly about the bill. She would stay to visit when she picked up her son, expecting me to feed and change him the entire time. She would have little complaints about how I cared for the kids, what I should be doing with my own children, so much so that I wondered why she would allow someone so incompitent to care for her child! Then it started on other things, she would critique my knitting (she doesn't know how to knit), how I cleaned my house, how I did my laundry, how I decorated my cookies! I couldn't stand it, I would cringe everytime she knocked on the door. Then she decided to move back to her home town. Demanded that her husband get his boss to let him work remotely from another state AND give him a massive raise, something I got to hear about for months before they left. When my husband started to really hate his job I told him that we had 7 months of bills in savings and he could quit his job to spend his time looking for a new one full time. This only made the mom worse, her husband would never quit his job, her husband could get another job in a hearbeat, his company would never let him go. Then she started in about their house, how, despite the declining housing market, their house would sell in a couple of days and they were going to make a profit on it. I had a little party when the moved!

Well, here we are three months later, their house still hasn't sold, hasn't even gotten an offer. The other day I found out that her husband didn't get a huge raise when they moved and he just got fired! I know it's horrible but I'm happy he lost his job. These people severely need to be humbled a little bit. I'm sure he will find something again soon but for now I get the satisfaction of knowing she gets to be just like the rest of us!

No comments: